Sjomanship

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Gingerbread Houses and Paper People

It is February 20th as I write this, but the report below features our activities for December and January... oops. The good news is we're only 8 days from the next one.

We kicked December off with Alise's birthday, then kind of waited around until going home for Christmas. We can't say the month wasn't a lot of fun, there just wasn't a lot to report on between going through the motions of work, parties for our respective places of employment and home. Alise did spend a lot of time cooking as well. Cooking has always been her favorite hobby, but in the past 7 months she has been able to test it on a real-life subject able to give legit reviews of her food. Her blog can be found at: http://a4kinit.blogspot.com/

Being home for the holidays was fun as always, but we had quite the adventure. We bumpy landed on a runway full of snow in MSP right after a medium-sized snow storm on Dec. 23. The freeways were all but shut down, but dad rescued us in his truck and our 1.5 hour drive normally averaging 65 mph took about 2 hours, and averaged just 40 mph.  We then had to travel the three hours from my house to Alise's on those ice-glazed roads a few days later.

For January we had a little more excitement as we both made it to the Upper Midwest twice, and also had our first visitor for 2010. For the week of January 17, Lucas went to Michigan for work and Alise partied in Wisconsin Dells with some girl friends. Then the next weekend Lucas went to Minnesota for work and met Alise there to celebrate a niece's baptism.

In between those two trips, we received our first visitor, via the great USPS: a "Flat Me". My younger cousin sent a "Flat Stanley" project (as you can see below, overlooking downtown Brattleboro near my cubicle), and I was able to take him to 7 states with over 9,000 miles and two hockey games under his belt. He left us in early February. Also, while I was home I was able to see Jacob play basketball for the first time and Megan be crowned a dairy princess. Those are two of the people I wish I got to see more of, but that was one of the sacrifices we knew we would need to make as we moved to New England.

Other than that, as January ended we were still enjoying ourselves and getting ready for February. In my opinion it is one of the most important months of the year. Yes, it may have my birthday included, (and birthdays for my Grandpa, an uncle, a sister-in-law, Michael Jordan, Charles Dickens, Garth Brooks, etc.) but also Valentine's Day, now holds the Super Bowl, is the big wind-up to March Madness, Black History Month, and is the hardest month to be born in, in general. However, recent news also gives me (and MJ, and Charles Dickens, and Garth Brooks, and all my relatives) some hope to not only become POTUS, but become a great POTUS. Just kidding, I have no reason to want to be President of the United States (that's what POTUS stands for), in my current position I deal with too many differing opinions already.

So, we'll be watching the Olympics, The Office (and its deleted scenes), and staying warm. In March, I'll be traveling quite a bit, so Alise will have to fend for herself (she cooks just to live sometimes). Life is good, really good, actually and I'll be happy to report on February when its over. We're planning for a possible positive change in the next few weeks that will make our lives here (no big move or anything) more comfortable and enjoyable, but we have no clue if they will work out, you can only plan. I think we'll be happy here for a while.

Until next time (the 28th), best wishes & love, Lucas & Alise.

No comments:

Post a Comment